Thursday, September 17, 2015

Musical Opinion

Going through my downloaded music, and found out one of my discographies were incomplete (Nightwish), so I had to grab their last two albums (and convert one from FLAC to MP3, but that's beside the point). In listening to each track from every album, I have discovered my tastes have changed a little.

Tarja Turunen was their lead singer for the band from 1996 until 2005, when she was dismissed because the band felt that she,  her husband and commercial interests had changed her attitude towards the band. But anyway, I've found that although I appreciate her voice talent, I don't like a lot of the songs because everything seems to have that very opera like quality to it, and it's just not something I want in my music. Her vocals wee featured in the albums Angels Fall First (1997), Oceanborn (1998), Wishmaster (2000), Century Child (2002), and Once (2004).

Anette Olzon was brought in as Tarja's replacement, and her vocals aren't as...high pitched? I want to say. I like them better, though I was resistant initially. She was with the band from 2006 until her dismissal in 2012 due to "the direction and the needs of the band were in conflict, and this has led to a division from which we cannot recover" according to a press statement released on Facebook. Her vocals were featured on the albums Dark Passion Play (2007), Imaginaerum (2011).

Floor Jansen was brought in as a permanent replacement for Anette in 2013. Her vocals are featured on the band's latest album Endless Forms Most Beautiful (2015), and I hadn't heard her until today. I must say I am liking her vocals very much.

I decided to post here a video from the different eras of the band, for each female lead singer.

Tarja Turunen singing "Wish I Had An Angel" from Once (2004)



Anette Olzon singin "Amaranth" from Dark Passion Play (2007)



Floor Jansen singing "Elan" from Endless Forms Most Beautiful (2015)


0 comments:

Post a Comment