Sunday, October 18, 2015

NaNoWriMo

Thanks to the support and encouragement of some friends (three) and my husband, I've decided to try and do NaNoWriMo next month. I haven't signed up over there yet, but I will do so soon.

I plan on spending the rest of October listing and outlining a few ideas that I have to see what may yield the best results for my writing attempt.

Additionally, during the rest of this month, I am going to try and figure out what the best programs for writing my story might be. I'm subscribed to a couple of writing communities on Google+, and though I cannot remember if it was advice given to me directly, or something I read in one of the communities, using a program such as Word is not recommended. I had thought about using Google Docs so that everything I had was stored on the cloud, but now I am not so certain. StoryPlanner is a site I learned about via one of the communities today, so I may try them to see if I like it or not. Scrivener is another option I came across, and a friend mentioned having some success with FocusWriter for "distraction free" writing. I'll have to figure out what the best method for me is prior to NaNo, me thinks.

I've got some helper resources on hand already - Writing Fiction For DummiesEureka: 501 Adventure Plots to Inspire Game MastersUnframed: The Art of Improvisation for Game MastersBloody Hooks, and Bride of Bloody Hooks. I know most of those are roleplaying references, but I thought that they might be extremely helpful for when/if I get stuck at any point. Additionally, I've got some non-vocal music ready to go on Google Play to, well, play when I write.

I've also done some math, figuring out how many days next month my kids have school (barring weather delays or cancellations), and figured out how many words per day I would need to do if I wanted to write only distraction (no kid) free, and it's about 2778, as opposed to 1667 if I wrote every day.

0 comments:

Post a Comment